Last Updated: February 2, 2017
The Janie Appleseed Network respects and values your privacy.
Our business partners, marketing partners, affiliates, contractors, licensors and other service providers (collectively, “Service Providers”) have their own websites and privacy practices. We encourage you to read the privacy policies and notices of all websites you visit to understand their privacy practices and your options before submitting any personal information.
- Personal Information We Collect.
When you visit our Website, we collect the following personal information about you:
- Information about you from affiliates, subsidiaries, marketing partners, ad networks, website referrals and other third parties which may be combined with information we already have about you.
When you establish a member account and complete the registration process for the Member Program, we collect the following personal information:
- Name, email address, temporary password, and the state and zip code you reside in.
When you subscribe to a paid Service available through the Member Program, you will be required to provide payment information, such as your credit card number. This payment information is used and stored by Janie Appleseed and/or its payment processors to process payment for your subscription to the paid Service as well as processing payment for automatic renewals of your subscription
In addition, if you subscribe to a Service available through the Member Program, you may be asked to provide additional personal information. For example, if you subscribe to the MyPHD Service, you will be asked to provide the following personal information to verify your identity and establish a MyPHD Service Account:
- Name, home or other physical address, email address, phone number, social security number, and date of birth. This information is used by Janie Appleseed or its Service Providers for the MyPHD Service to verify your identity and for purposes of completing your registration process.
- In addition, the MyPHD Service allows you to securely exchange protected health information as described in Section 3 below.
- Methods Used to Collect Information.
We use various technologies to collect personal information about visitors to the Website and members in the Member Program. These technologies include the following:
- Web logging
- As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include IP addresses, browser type, internet service provider, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and/or clickstream data. We or our marketing partners may link this automatically collected data to other information we or they collect about you.
- Cookies and other tracking technologies
Our Service Providers may use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML5 to collect and store your information and preferences.
- Security and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”).
Janie Appleseed uses commercially reasonable physical and technical safeguards to preserve the security of your personal information and any protected health information (as defined in HIPAA) in its possession or control.
As a subscriber to the MyPHD Service, you will also be able to send, receive and transmit protected health information with healthcare providers and other persons who have a Direct Certificate (as defined in the MyPHD Authorized User Agreement) or have otherwise implemented a trusted relationship with the subscriber for the exchange of protected health information using the MyPHD Service.
Janie Appleseed and its Service Providers used to provide the MyPHD Service have implemented reasonable security measures as required by HIPAA to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of your protected health information transmitted through or stored by the MyPHD Service.
However, please be aware that no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure and this is not a guarantee that your personal information (including protected health information) may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any physical and technical safeguards in place.
You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password(s) and account information and for controlling access to your account(s) at all times.
- How We Use the Personal Information Collected.
We may use your personal information collected for the following purposes:
- To create your member account or a Service account and allow use of the Member Program and each Service you subscribe to.
- To better understand how the Website, Member Program and each Service are being used and to improve the Website, Member Program and each Service.
- To provide personalized content based on your activity and preferences.
- To communicate with you regarding updates to a Service, the Member Program or the Website and to respond to your inquiries, requests and applications and/or to send important notices.
- To conduct surveys and research.
- If you participate in surveys, we will request certain personal information from you. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether, or not, to disclose this information. We may use a third-party Service Provider to conduct these surveys. We will not share the personal information you provide through a survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
- To further develop our products and services and to improve our business.
- We may also send you emails with information about products and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you wish to opt-out of receiving these emails from us, please follow the instructions contained in that email.
- How We Share Personal Information Collected.
We do not sell or rent personal information we collect through the Website, Member Program or a Service (or any protected health information transmitted through a Service) to any third party for its own marketing purposes. We may share your personal information and protected health information as follows:
- We may disclose your personal information and protected health information to our Service Providers who provide certain services to us or on our behalf, such as operating, providing and supporting a Service, analyzing data, verifying your identity, processing payments or performing marketing or consulting services. These Service Providers will only have access to the personal information or protected health information needed to perform these functions on our behalf.
- Our Website or the Member Program may offer a publicly accessible blog. You should be aware that any personal information you provide in these areas may be read, collected and used by others who access them. To request removal of personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at [email protected].
- We may also disclose personal information about visitors to our Website, members in the Member Program or users of a Service:
-As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process.
-When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your health and safety or the health and safety of others, or to investigate illegal activity or fraud or to respond to a government request.
-In the event of a merger, acquisition, asset sale or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy, personal information [and protected health information] maintained by or on behalf of Janie Appleseed may be transferred to its successors or assigns.
– To any other third party with your prior consent.
-We may also share information relating to users of the Website, members of the Member Program or users of a Service with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an anonymous, aggregate basis. Such anonymous, aggregated information will not include your personal information.
- Links to Other Websites.
- Children’s Privacy.
Children under the age of 18 are not permitted to create an account, participate in the Member Program or use a Service. In addition, we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age, except personal information and protected health information sent, received, transmitted or stored through the MyPHD Service by a parent or legal guardian.
- Special Notice for Users Located Outside the United States.
The Website, Member Program and each Service are currently provided from the United State for use by persons in the United States. If you chose to access the Website, Member Program or a Service from any jurisdiction outside the United States, any personal information that we collect from you may be transferred to and stored at a destination outside of your country of residence, including the United States. By using the Website, Member Program or a Service, you hereby consent to the collection, transfer, storage, processing, and other use of your personal information in the United States or another destination outside of your country of residence. You acknowledge that your personal information may be subject to the privacy and data protection laws and regulations of the United States, which may not be the same as applicable laws and regulations in your country of residence.
- Accessing, Changing and Managing Your Personal Information.
The Website, Member Program and/or a Service may allow you to directly view, edit or delete personal information about you online. If this option is not available, you can update your personal information by sending an email to [email protected] or contacting our Privacy Officer at the address listed below. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to respond to your request within 30 days.
We will retain your personal information for as long as your Member Account is active or as reasonably useful or required for legal or commercial purposes. We or our Service Providers will retain your protected health information for as long as stated in the applicable Authorized User Agreement pursuant to which you agree to send, receive or transmit such protected health information. We may also retain and use your personal information as reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
- How to Contact Us.
Janie Appleseed Network
40 Happy Valley Road
Westerly, Rhode Island 02891, U.S.A.